Saturday, January 26, 2013

Organic Homemade Degongesting Vapor Rub

 
It's that time of year again.
 
When every kid you see has a snotty nose and every mom is carrying around tissues in their pockets. Nothing quite soothes a cold the way that Vick's Vapor Rub does and since we have ventured into our "homesteading" lifestyle I have sworn off running to the store to buy everything we need (or that we think we need) I have been instead running to the kitchen  to try to make something similar. This recipe is absolutely amazing to me, even though I've only smelled it yet with my congested nose, I believe that it smells the same or better than the name brand stuff. I made it a few days ago and have been using it 3x daily since then. The other great thing is that you can customize the strength of it by simply using less oils. I think that makes it a little more appropriate for my kids. You could even play with the oils you are adding to the Eucalyptus. I chose to add Lavender and chamomile. It's soothing and relaxing..Just the comfort I'm looking for when I'm feeling under the weather!
 
Here's how I made it: (as you can tell I don't really measure when I make stuff so I'm giving estimates...you can figure out how thick, thin or strongly scented you'd like it to be and go from there. You can't mess it up, if you want to change the consistency after it cools just put it back in a warm pan and add more beeswax or oil!)
 
 
You'll need:
 
1 cup- organic Evoo
1 tbls. -Beeswax shavings (Try to find a local source for your beeswax, if you can't hen you can order it online)
30ish- drops Eucalyptus essential oil
20ish- drops Lavender essential oil
15ish- drops of chamomile essential oil (or any other essential oil you think compliments the Eucalyptus)
 
To make:
 
Put Evoo and beeswax in a small saucepan over low heat until beeswax is melted, stirring often. Remove from heat and add essential oils. Pour in pretty jars ( I used 4oz. Jelly jars)  And..
THAT'S IT!!  Easy, huh?!
 
 
   
The oils in it help it to have a decent shelf life, but you should try to use it within one year.
 
Isn't it amazing how simple these things really are to make at home?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe Georgia. Now to collect the ingredients. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Found you on Farm Girl Friday! I would love to have you share this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank- you for visiting. If I'm not too late I will come on over. I'm just learning these hops and really loving them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you could join the fun! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow on the next Creative HomeAcre hop!
      http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

      Delete