Sunday, February 17, 2013

Amazing Cheese Crackers

 
 
Cheese Crackers....
 
I have been hearing so much about homemade cheese crackers lately. I've seen a lot of recipes on Pinterest and today decided to try making them. With three little girls in the house, we are always in need of new healthy snack ideas.
 
and only did a few things differently.
 
I used her measurements with great success but I did add a little sea salt sprinkled over the top instead of regular salt in the dough.
 
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces (2 cups)  Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter, Cut Into Cubes
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
  •  a sprinkling of sea salt
Instructions
Pulse everything (except water) together in the food processor
 
 
Until the dough resembles coarse sand.
 
 

 

Pulse in water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

 
 
 
Remove dough from the processor, wrap in plastic (I used a glass bowl with lid) and chill for 20 minutes.
 
Roll out the dough
 
 
Now cut into the shapes that you want. I cut a used pie plate into a strip and shaped a little fish for my kids.
 
 
 
 Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I used the end of a skewer to poke an eye in the fish.
 
 
And then I got sick of cutting them out so I just cut the rest into squares and put a hole in the center.
 
sprinkle with sea salt if desired and Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes, or until crispy.
 
Here are some of them finished. They are honestly the best cheese cracker I have ever had in my life. The flavor is exactly like a good quality store bought Cheddar cracker but the texture is absolutely amazing! They are crispy but puffy. It surprisingly made a good amount. I'm storing them in a glass bowl with a lid but they will most likely not need stored very long since my family loves them so much!
 
 
 
 
Now, I'm going to go...And eat a handful of these Little gems!
 
Let me know how they turn out if you try this recipe.
 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. DO you think these could be made gluten-free by using millet flour instead?

    ReplyDelete